Wednesday 30 January 2013

Elephas Maximus Indicus

Image Source:

This poem was written as homework for a ‘writing for pleasure’ course I am undertaking at the moment.

Having spent most of the week, since the homework was set, traveling to and trying to recover from a very painful trip to the UK, I remembered what it was like to be a child at school who suddenly remembers homework.

Fortunately sleep is a rarity in my life and I was able to pen the poem between 04:00 and 04:30 this morning whilst I waited for the pain to subside enough to sleep.

The poem had to be presented verbally and in writing at 10:00 this morning. The verbal presentation seemed to go down quite well. I hope the written version below is received in a similar way.

Elephas Maximus Indicus

Ten foot tall at her shoulder,
decked out in jewels so fine,
the temple’s mighty elephant
is treated as if divine.

Her massive head is painted
with brightly coloured schemes
and her golden nettipattom
in brilliant sunlight gleams.

The caparison draped o’er her back
is richly decorated,
as is the howda in which is set
the deity so venerated

As a temple elephant
she is much revered,
but her warrior forefathers
were very greatly feared

Yes - man has trained elephants
to fight and kill in war.
A five tonne beast in armour
was considered real hard-core.

It’s mighty tusks - capped
with two foot iron blades.
That could cut a soldier in half
when charging through blockades.

The elephants of India
have long been put to use
by men who use cunning
their power to abuse.

From the howda upon their back
the great ‘white hunters’ shot,
killing tigers and deer for sport
they almost got the lot.

They are used as beasts of burden
in the forests man tears down.
As they drag logs along the paths
the jungle turns mud brown.

Wild elephants in the jungle
have been hunted near extinction
by poachers after ivory
for men without contrition.

Yes - elephants are revered in India
but man still finds a way
to abuse and misuse them
and throw their lives away.

John Carré Buchanan
30 January 2013

11 comments:

  1. hii, nice post I just blogwalking, sorry if this comment distasteful. I hope you come back to my blog Euro Truck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XI Game, Thanks for your comment. I hope you enjoyed the visit to my blog.

      Delete
  2. John, this is as pleasing on paper as it was verbally...possibly more so. Very vibrant description and informative too. I like!! the picture at the top is perfect. Good Job. Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good way of explaining, and pleasant post to get data concerning my presentation topic,
    which i am going to present in academy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, I’m glad you found the poem useful, good luck with your presentation.

      Delete
  4. Thanks very nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, I enjoy reading through your post. I like to write
    a little comment to support you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank You for your kind Comment, I've been Blogging since 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If some one needs expert view on the topic of blogging and site-building then i
    advise him/her to visit this website, Keep up the good job.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate constructive feedback. If you are able to comment it would be most grateful.