Saturday 14 January 2012

Memories


I was digging through some of my older poems this afternoon and I found this one which was written when I was on leave in 1987. I had just finished officer training at Sandhurst and was waiting to join my unit in Bünde Germany.

I went back to Bünde last time I was in Germany and was surprised to see that the base, I used to live on, no longer existed. I guess in its own way it too lives on as a memory in my mind, but perhaps not as fondly as the one described in the poem.

Memories

The warm sun shines gently upon my back.
Dozing peacefully on the stony porch,
I listen to the sound of the waves
breaking on the shore.

An ant works its way across the paving,
occasionally pausing to sniff the air.
before moving onwards,
working a crazy path in front of me.

The warmth and the peaceful noises
bring thoughts of love and joy
to my lazy mind.
I close my eyes and remember.

John Carré Buchanan
May 1987

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for some good points there. I am kind of new to online , so I printed this off to put in my file, any better way to go about keeping track of it then printing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for your comment, if you want to be able to follow everything that happens on this blog you could become a follower by joining the site, if you want to follow just this post then you could subscribe to the post by clicking the link below. Otherwise you could just print to a file which would just keep the document in electronic format on your computer.
      I hope this helps you. John

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment, I am glad you like it.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Glam, it was a very romantic time in my life.

      Delete
  4. memories completes us ..
    we are nothing without those beautiful moments ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hara, I totally agree with you. Thank you for your kind comment.

      Delete
  5. What a gorgeous poem, thank you so much for sharing this with us, it's giving me warm feelings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind comment, I am glad my poem touched you. I hope you have a very merry Christmas.

      Delete

I really appreciate constructive feedback. If you are able to comment it would be most grateful.