Sunday 20 August 2017

Socks


This poem was written for an open mic with cats as the subject, it is dedicated to Socks, my three legged cat, who thrives in the face of adversity;

Socks

I remember the day I found you
lying crumpled on the verge,
I'd been looking for your sister
when I somehow felt an urge...

There you lay twisted and broken
your life hanging by a thread;
I prayed that I'd not lose you too,
as I gently held your head.

They took your leg to save you.
As I watched you overcome
I marvelled as you learnt to walk,
then jump, hunt and run.

After I was struck down
you tucked in close beside
silently gave me the courage
my demons to deride.

You've been a good friend to me;
as I struggle to overcome
you've shared with me the strength
to survive and not succumb.

My fingers massage your scars
beneath your silky fur
and you sooth mine
with your reassuring purr.

John Carré Buchanan
20 August 2017


If you click on the link below you can listen to me read this poem.

6 comments:

  1. I'm a cat lover too, having had six feral cats deciding to invade our home with all their ailments. I can understand how Socks has become an unconditional friend and family member to you (providing you feed him though). Looking forward to this one too, John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .. and I thought 2 dogs and 2 3/4 cats was a handful (I won't mention the kids)! Looking forward to tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. Nice one, John! Very different poem in character to The Assassin. There seem to be cats everywhere at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Richard, I'm glad you liked it.

      Delete
  3. The relationship between a cat and a human, we know is mostly on their terms but the comfort a small animal can bring has no bounds. I'm glad that you and Socks have each other life to life. Lovely poem Trudie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Trudie, he's a good chap! I'm glad you liked the poem.

      Delete

I really appreciate constructive feedback. If you are able to comment it would be most grateful.