Saturday 14 March 2015

Mirrors

Image Source:

The Theme for our last Open Mic was 'Mirror'. To be honest I forgot to write anything for it, so whilst waiting for the evening to start I dashed off this acrostic (the first letters of each line spell mirror).

The image I have used displays visually the idea I was trying to get across. There are several more excellent images on this theme if you follow this link.

I hope you like the poem.

Mirrors

My face glares back at me
Image of yester-year
Registers in my mind’s eye
Rugged chin, bright eyes
Oh why do mirrors always get it
'rse about face.

John Carré Buchanan
09 March 2015

4 comments:

  1. Richard Fleming19 March 2015 at 21:15

    Love this one, John. Last line's so clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Richard, I am glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. I like that line 'why do mirrors always get it' - it sort of makes me think of the idea of mirrors revealing our secrets, or aspects about ourselves that we don't like, almost like a mirror is the pursuit of truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Somerset Wedding Girl, thanks for your kind comment.
      I guess that mirrors are there to examine 'what is'. By default they invite a critical examination of the viewer by the viewer, which in turn invites an honesty (or truth) which may not be apparent to others. This perspective will invariably be warped by the viewers own life experiences.

      Delete

I really appreciate constructive feedback. If you are able to comment it would be most grateful.