Friday, 27 June 2014

Tide Line

Image Source: John Buchanan

I took another trip to Moulin Huet today (yes I am that mad). Looking out across the bay it was impossible to miss the tide line on the granite cliffs, created by the rise and fall of the tides over millennia. This led me to write a poem, I hope you like it.

Tide Line

The granite bears a tide line,
black as black can be,
as if some dirty giant
took a bath in the sea
and left a scummy tide line
on the lichen covered rocks.
But, if you look closely,
take off your shoes and socks
and scramble on the foreshore
you're in for quite a shock.
For here in this narrow band
twixt lichen and the sea
limpets and anemones cling
like jewels for all to see,
and in the little rock pools
amidst the coloured weed
guppies, shrimps and little crabs
take shelter from the sea.
Yes the granite bears a tide line
as black as black can be,
a line which hides great beauty
the treasures of the sea.

John Carré Buchanan
27 June 2014

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate constructive feedback. If you are able to comment it would be most grateful.

Visitors






Free counters!



Popular Posts

Blogs I Enjoy Following

  • SAIL AND RETURN - Do today's children still play with model yachts or is that altogether too 'outdoors' for them? I recall the heady thrill I experienced when a breeze caught...
    11 hours ago
  • Closed Hearts - Closed hearts will never be filled with --> the light of the presence of others © Martyn Legg 2017
    13 hours ago
  • Stumbling Through - Tony Gardner - Looking at me, you may think 'He's OK' Doing just fine, walking down his own way. I suppose that maybe partly it's true But for most of my life, I'm just stu...
    2 days ago
  • On The West Winds Return - Enough diets of bloody violence. Flowers in tribute for those we behold stolen from life, now sleeping in silence; it beggars belief, some, not ten years old...
    2 weeks ago
  • Chasms Of Despair - The shadows keep on calling me I look but no ones there The whispers they continue still From chasms of despair They tell me that they're waiting My end is...
    2 weeks ago
  • Memories - I remember after moving here, all the family loved to visit. It was the place to make memories. Paddling in the river. Feeding the ducks. Watching the lam...
    2 months ago
  • Kentucky Racial Tension - No racial tension In Lexington Kentucky Just tense & intense races Black & white race Cat & rat race Foot Ford train & plane race I am lost amidst this
    2 months ago
  • Stop, Drop, and Roll - *I didn't realize how long it has been since I have been here to write* *Change often seems to create a sense of suspended animation* *where the outer wor...
    6 months ago
  • This Job, Not That Job - *What I'm reading: The Trouble with Goats and Sheep by Joanna Cannon* *What I'm listening to: Incomplete by James Bay* Isn't it fun to spend your birthday ...
    11 months ago
  • ... gloriously exciting! - There is something gloriously exciting about anticipating ones next Chad assignment, sitting in the back of the relative comfort of seat 34J, the the dron...
    2 years ago
  • Time-Out - Every now and again in life we come across a bump or hurdle. It can come in our relationships, our finances or as in my case, health. Right now I've been...
    3 years ago
  • thumbs up - it was a battle. looking back i don't think we ever had a chance, but you don't just give up on a young man in the prime of his life. we had to try. he ...
    3 years ago