Sunday, 8 April 2012

Early Memories - Sark I
The Woodsmen

Image Source


As a child I used to spend many of my holidays staying with my grandmother in Sark. There was a beautiful valley called Happy Valley near to my gran’s guest house. The valley had steep slides and ran down to a very dangerous, near vertical crumbly, cliff face which fell a couple hundred feet to a beach below.

The valley was used by clay pigeon shooters and my cousins, brother and I used to collect the unbroken clays and return them to supplement our pocket money. Once our bike baskets were full of clays we would often spend time playing on the wooded slope pretending to be woodsmen, building hides and traps and generally larking about.

This poem celebrates the time we spent building “Man traps” which in those days was one of my favourite games

The Woodsmen

Dappled green light,
bird song,
muffled voices.

Vine across path,
twisted upward
into branches.

Log hangs high.
Notched stick
bears weight.

Stick pokes vine
Log falls
Woodsmen laugh.

John Carré Buchanan
07 April 2012

2 comments:

  1. Hi JB, funnily enough opened a bag I left here in Chad 4 years ago and it had a book on a 'year in Sark' so started to read it last night. So fu to find this poem...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prepositioned books Bryan, Logistics at its best! A year in Sark would be quite a break from the normal rat race - sounds idyllic. I hope you have a good stay there and I look forward to your safe return. Thanks for checking the blog.

      Delete

I really appreciate constructive feedback. If you are able to comment it would be most grateful.

Visitors






Free counters!



Popular Posts

Blogs I Enjoy Following

  • In Memory - I am in the process of composing a poem for those that have sacrificed their life for world freedom. For those that have prematurely had their life stolen ...
    1 day ago
  • The Spoils of War. (Get rid of all the bunkers.) - Tony Bradley - I often come for a stroll on this headland they come for contrasting reasons, some others that do some seem to have blinkers, ignoring the beauty they're att...
    1 day ago
  • Father - *To the face I can’t quite picture* *To the voice I can't quite hear* *To the smile so lost in memory* *To the moments you were near* *These are the though...
    4 days ago
  • Vertical Society Bullshit Jungle - Dear Japan I am tired Of vertical society bullshit This place is a jungle Balding managerial lions Lead prides of chuckling hyena recruits To the watering h...
    1 week ago
  • Scarborough Fear - If you should go to Scarborough fair There's a field of heather and thyme Where the breeze shall whisper the name Of a girl that used to be mine In this...
    1 week ago
  • DREAMS OF AVARICE - The Bard is taking a short break so, in my absence, here’s a lengthy gangster tale in verse to keep you going. It’s influenced by the B-Movies of my younger...
    1 week ago
  • Memories - I remember after moving here, all the family loved to visit. It was the place to make memories. Paddling in the river. Feeding the ducks. Watching the lam...
    3 months ago
  • Stop, Drop, and Roll - *I didn't realize how long it has been since I have been here to write* *Change often seems to create a sense of suspended animation* *where the outer wor...
    7 months ago
  • This Job, Not That Job - *What I'm reading: The Trouble with Goats and Sheep by Joanna Cannon* *What I'm listening to: Incomplete by James Bay* Isn't it fun to spend your birthday ...
    1 year ago
  • ... gloriously exciting! - There is something gloriously exciting about anticipating ones next Chad assignment, sitting in the back of the relative comfort of seat 34J, the the dron...
    3 years ago
  • Time-Out - Every now and again in life we come across a bump or hurdle. It can come in our relationships, our finances or as in my case, health. Right now I've been...
    3 years ago
  • thumbs up - it was a battle. looking back i don't think we ever had a chance, but you don't just give up on a young man in the prime of his life. we had to try. he ...
    3 years ago