Wednesday 11 May 2011

Where The Sea Meets The Clouds - (Turmoil)


Having been through a rough patch recently the last few days have been brighter.

I was thinking about this earlier, trying to establish what had changed. Initially I assumed that having left the rat race I am now devoting more time to pain management and consequently living with pain is becoming easier.

I pondered this for a while, aware that it was true, but there was something missing. It was then that I remembered a poem I wrote in 2003 and I found my answer.

Where The Sea Meets The Clouds
(Turmoil)


Wind tears at my coat as I stand on the cliff top watching the clouds advance,
the swirling grey mass, now no higher than the cliff itself, draws the steel grey sea upward,
upward until it merges with the sky in a seething mass of grey.
Closer at hand rain squalls lash the boiling sea, which shatters on the jagged rocks below.

The wind hurls its sodden load in my face and I turn for home.
Hearing a cry from above, I look up to where a gull battles the wind,
as I watch it struggle it’s obscured by the deepening gloom,
Head down, I press on.

The cold grey wall draws nearer, obscuring everything,
Stop….. look….. No, not everything,
out there on the left, a silver light dancing on the sea,
and beyond it, the horizon is clear, for those who wish to see it.

John Carré Buchanan
November 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate constructive feedback. If you are able to comment it would be most grateful.