Sunday 8 May 2011

Senses


Senses

I’ve seen sunlight glint on mountain tops
and in the oceans deep
and through a verdant canopy
I saw night’s diamonds peep.

I’ve seen lions on the plains of Africa
and a herd of galloping steeds,
and a moot of wheeling starlings
looking to roost among the reeds.

I’ve heard many a dawn chorus
and waves crash on beach,
and the rumble of a kitten’s purr
like thunder out of reach.

I’ve felt the cool breeze kiss my skin
and rain trickle down my face,
the sharp prick of a rose’s thorn
reminds me of its grace.

I’ve tasted the sweetness of a strawberry,
and fresh lemon from a tree,
the salt bourn on the ocean’s breeze
is like a tonic to me.

I’ve smelt Jasmine on the evening air
and spices in a market,
the scent of the tropics after rain
I’ll bear till I’m in my casket.

How can these memories all be lost
when I’m at last departed?
I’d like to think that by some grace
my journey’s only started.

John Carré Buchanan
03 January 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate constructive feedback. If you are able to comment it would be most grateful.