Wednesday 16 December 2020

Just Listen


We are encouraged to talk about mental health and I agree that it is good to talk but remember;

If you decide to talk, choose a listener you trust and try to tell them what you want out of your talk.

If someone opens up to you just listen and be there, don't try to fix things.

I wrote this after I was too honest answering a question and the person I spoke to was too intent on fixing things and refused to back off when I asked them to.  The resultant harassment was very painful and a month on I am still hurting.

Just Listen

Between two streams
overlooking the sea
surrounded by pips and chirps
as birds chitter chatter.
It's good to talk. 
A chill breeze cuts deep.
Sharp trills;
- it's good to talk,
yet sharing gives rise
to caring and sharing
and chitter chatter.
Sharp breeze cuts through
tries to take control,
to help me.
In my head
two streams guide me
to the depths ahead
they mock me.
Shh, be still, calm,
Help me,
just... listen
to the chitter chatter
until the cold breeze passes 

 John Carré Buchanan 
 29 November 2020

2 comments:

  1. Thanks John, only just got to it.
    Moving and true. My instinct is to help and solve problems but have learnt to develop silence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Standing back and listening is a real skill. I wish I was better at it too. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete

I really appreciate constructive feedback. If you are able to comment it would be most grateful.