Friday 25 October 2019

Graduation



I thought I’d write a follow-up to my poem 'The Wheelchair'. This follows a jog I took a couple of weeks ago on the beautiful cliff paths near my home.

Graduation

I'm often called 'the wheelchair?
"Mind the wheelchair', not 'the man'!
Yet coming down the steps,
confronted by a string of hikers,
all I heard were calls of 'runner'.
I've graduated!
No longer 'the wheelchair,'
I'm 'the runner'.
Right now my leg screams
my wheelchair beckons
and in my head, I'm a runner.

John Carré Buchanan
09 October 2019


You can read my poem ‘The Wheelchair’ here;

3 comments:

  1. As a clapped-out old runner myself, I really enjoyed this poem, John. A vicarious jog for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard, Thanks for your kind comment. It was a rather amusing moment, a large group of elderly overweight hikers stumbling down steep slippery steps and me barreling past at full speed on the verge. Funny thing was I got caught by the same group on some different steps on the way back.

      Delete
  2. SIS, Small Island Syndrome, John. Great to hear you're on the move!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate constructive feedback. If you are able to comment it would be most grateful.