Wednesday 25 July 2018

The Nature of Everything


The subject for our last Open Mic was; "String". I thought I that it would be a challenge to write about String Theory, the problem was that I didn't know anything about it. I set my mind to learning about it and then strung the following poem together.... Enjoy!

The Nature of Everything

Heisenberg was uncertain about position and speed,
we can't measure both precisely he had to concede,

for to look at an elementary particle is enough to make it change,
which isn't very useful when you’re not seeking a range.

Quantum field theory uses points to allow prediction
but positions; x, y, z and time, whilst useful, create a fiction,

for the maths of gravity gets in the way when you work in 4 dimensions,
three spacial and one temporal if we follow the convention.

We needed to go much deeper and work another dimension,
in fact we have to use eleven to gain some comprehension

Now if you're beginning to feel a bit bemused;
you write a poem on a theory so confused.

By now those crazy physicists with their bulging pulsing brains
decided that they needed more and invented the membrane!

‘Branes can be gigantic, a universe or more.
I think it's time I make a break and run toward the door

but if I stepped through it, would a multiverse I find?
or is that just a figment of an overactive mind?

They're now trying to prove super symmetry exists,
crashing particles together and examining the bits.

If they find sparticles in the instant of collision
I suspect string theory will still need some revision.

Now, about this super string theory you need to know two things;
everything out there is made of vibrating energy strings.

The second is much easier, I won't string you along,
the whole blasted theory, well, it could just be wrong.

John Carré Buchanan
23 July 2018

6 comments:

  1. Very good, pretty spot on from my understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard Fleming2 August 2018 at 22:09

    Mindblowing!!!!! Well done, John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard, Thanks for your kind comment. It was not my first choice of subject but turns out it is very interesting.

      Delete
  3. Ha Ha, nice one, John. I hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julian, thanks for your comment, I'm glad you like it.

      Delete

I really appreciate constructive feedback. If you are able to comment it would be most grateful.